Bugs

Skirmish map generator fails - persistantly.

Post your bugs.

Skirmish map generator fails - persistantly.

Postby Soban » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:37 am

- Skirmish map generator set to make star systems with 6 planets and 12 asteroid fields - im getting 3-4 planets and 10 asteroids on some cases.

- some star systems that the map generates have no travel options till you get the advanced hyperdrive range upgrade, limiting me to 1-2 asteroid field and 3 planets when i finally get the map generator to give me the type of map i wanted.

- The AI starts with the ability to jump to wherever the hell it wants - leaving me SOL when i finally make it to the range upgrade - ive watched AI fleets jump clean across the map from systems that are so far beyond my jump range, to my base ... bypassing any defenses and dropping out ontop of my military starbases in some cases.
Just followed your example, shout loud enough and someone will eventually take notice. - Garrus
Soban

Re: Skirmish map generator fails - persistantly.

Postby BigB » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:05 pm

Soban wrote:- Skirmish map generator set to make star systems with 6 planets and 12 asteroid fields - im getting 3-4 planets and 10 asteroids on some cases.

- some star systems that the map generates have no travel options till you get the advanced hyperdrive range upgrade, limiting me to 1-2 asteroid field and 3 planets when i finally get the map generator to give me the type of map i wanted.

- The AI starts with the ability to jump to wherever the hell it wants - leaving me SOL when i finally make it to the range upgrade - ive watched AI fleets jump clean across the map from systems that are so far beyond my jump range, to my base ... bypassing any defenses and dropping out ontop of my military starbases in some cases.

- The map generator tries it's best to get what you want (planets and asteroid numbers), but the way the map generator works is quite complex, and many times it's not possible to get you 6 planets when you chose those 6.

- That is done on purpose, it's not a bug, this is done to make you research engines, or else you are stuck.

- The AI starts with the same engines as you have,if you see them jumping by you, that simply means they have more tech than you do (Aliens start by default with bigger range than human ships).
If you play on Hard, the AI "cheats" a bit, and gets more research than the player per turn.
BigB
-
-

Postby Soban » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:25 pm

I know about cheating Ai's on hard, its the only way most games can make the AI a challenge to an experienced player, but i was on normal ... playing Alliance vs USF - when i try to replicate the jumps the AI is making, even with advanced engine range my ships cant do it - and im not talking about halfway through the game, i cant make my first ship do the jumps that a Normal USF AI can.
Just followed your example, shout loud enough and someone will eventually take notice. - Garrus
Soban

Postby Ashar » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:54 am

I just setup a map for 20 planets, and 8 asteroids
What i got was 3 planets and 24 asteroids
Unless you specifiy a higher ratio of asteroids to planets, you always get less planets, why not jsut remove the asteroids setting, and only allow planets to be set, so the correct ratio of asteroids is always chosen agaisnt how many planets you choose.
Ashar

Return to Bugs