Offtopic

Nvidia GTX 590

General chit chat

Re: Nvidia GTX 590

Postby Boris28 » Wed May 04, 2011 3:31 pm

Try to see if the cooler is sitting tight on the cpu, you did something different obviusly :P.
Maybe factors can happen, there is for example the issue that if you did the test in the day the power supply didn't recieved enough power from the cord. Why is that important during the day people cook and use mostly electricity so the power is fluctating.

If you do the same test in night it might give you different result, also if you lost few times electricity or worked while there was thunder outside it may damaged your PSU. This happened to me few times.
Boris28
-
-

Postby Timmah! » Wed May 04, 2011 9:07 pm

boristhe wrote:Try to see if the cooler is sitting tight on the cpu, you did something different obviusly :P.
Maybe factors can happen, there is for example the issue that if you did the test in the day the power supply didn't recieved enough power from the cord. Why is that important during the day people cook and use mostly electricity so the power is fluctating.

If you do the same test in night it might give you different result, also if you lost few times electricity or worked while there was thunder outside it may damaged your PSU. This happened to me few times.

Thanks for suggestions, but i already found the culprit...the Nvidia drivers 270.61 I suspected it might be them, but needed to verify it, so i uninstalled them and ran CB several times with no drivers installed. Every time i got the proper score. So i installed them back, and voila, lower score is back. Just wrote a submission about it on Nvidia site, i wonder if they contact me about it. Maybe its just a Cinebench issue, but maybe it affects other apps as well, for example Vray i might use again in the future.
Timmah!

Postby Boris28 » Fri May 06, 2011 5:33 pm

Yeh they probobly did that to make the gpu more stable so it doesnt burn when you do something complex.
Stable always means slower usually :)
Boris28
-
-

Postby Timmah! » Tue May 10, 2011 11:29 am

So, here you go, my first render on the new card. Its the interior study of the family house, on which ive been working with my former colleague.
The rendering took 2 and half hour, the resolution was 3840x2400, its actually recommended to do it in such a high resolution, as the noise is much smaller then. With classic biased renderers, which use pre-computed illumination, the bigger the picture, more times it takes to render. With Octane its basically irrelevant, as on lower resolution the sampling process is faster (as it has to be done on smaller area), but the noise is as i said bigger, so you need more samples to be "converged" than with bigger resolution.

Timmah!

Postby Boris28 » Tue May 10, 2011 8:35 pm

Yep, me likes. The GI must be pretty high to get such clean enviroment. Great work man :)
Boris28
-
-

Postby Timmah! » Tue May 10, 2011 9:42 pm

boristhe wrote:Yep, me likes. The GI must be pretty high to get such clean enviroment. Great work man :)

Thanks ;) You do not pre-calculate any GI solution, its always that "high" with pathtracing. There is however other render kernel, which works much much faster, almost realtime, but looks nowhere near that good, the only exception are exteriors, where the difference is not that big.
Timmah!

Postby Boris28 » Wed May 11, 2011 12:10 am

Yeh but if you play a bit around with settings you find a good and fast solution. :) I have learned the renderer settings first so I can have frames rendering under 5 min per frame. Tweaking is the key to perfection. But for static images this is perfect anyway;).
We think about to make also a dvd about making of Gemini wars CGI and ingame scenery we currently build.
But we shall see still to soon to say anything clear.
Boris28
-
-

Postby Timmah! » Wed May 11, 2011 7:54 am

boristhe wrote:Yeh but if you play a bit around with settings you find a good and fast solution. :) I have learned the renderer settings first so I can have frames rendering under 5 min per frame. Tweaking is the key to perfection. But for static images this is perfect anyway;).
We think about to make also a dvd about making of Gemini wars CGI and ingame scenery we currently build.
But we shall see still to soon to say anything clear.

Yeah, i have a fair share of experience with playing of settings within Vray, during my "spell" i tried about 4 different methods of lightning for the scene (with HDRI and sun, with vraysky and sun, finally with JPG) and there was always plethora of other settings, it was headache :P And i was still unable to do a proper interior lightning, as increasing the exposure to have the interior not completely dark would completely overblow the outside environment behind the windows. I simply could not find a way around that.
With Octane there are only few settings, mostly connected to the camera parameters like exposure, ISO, f-number, then aperture, AO distance, sunlight system settings and few other things. However, most things in regard to quality you set by playing with materials and models, for example putting lot of glossy materials into the scene will increase the number of fireflies (hotpixels) or when doing interior its recommended to remove the wall behind the camera, as this will let much more sunlight into the scene greatly improving rendering times. For the moment you should not put glass into the windows, as the sunlight wont go through them with pathtracing, you wont see the light projection on the floor....however next iteration will come with new rendering kernel, something along the line of Metropolis Light Transport/ bidierectional pathtracing.

And yeah, for you doing animation to have it rendered fast, while keeping reasonable image quality, is surely a key, i can imagine that. I look forward to that "Making of" dvd, that would be indeed brilliant.
Timmah!

Previous

Return to Offtopic