Offtopic

Nvidia GTX 590

General chit chat

Nvidia GTX 590

Postby Timmah! » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:46 pm

Just bought this beast! It was frakkin expensive, but the performance is :o :shock: :mrgreen:
I got it for doing the archviz renders with the Octane Render and while until the rendering is not instant, there is always room for improvement, compared to my previous gtx460 its 3 to 4x faster...so i am really satisfied with it. I will post some renders ill do with it, so watch this space! :D

BTW how does it look with the Nvidia support for Gemini Wars? Recently somebody mentioned just btw they showed some interest in the game, so it would be nice, if you gave some inisder info, how their "way its meant to be played" works... OFC if it happens... yeah and make sure, GW will support SLI :D
Timmah!

Re: Nvidia GTX 590

Postby BigB » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:20 pm

Ahh, congratulations :P
How expensive was that beast ?
And yeah, please do, do post some renders. I love to see other people's work :)
Nvidia support, well, that's still under works, we are talking with Nvidia, when we know more and are allowed to post, we will ;)
BigB
-
-

Postby Boris28 » Sun May 01, 2011 8:02 pm

Show some render times, and some pics would be nice :)
Boris28
-
-

Postby Timmah! » Sun May 01, 2011 10:01 pm

BigB wrote:Ahh, congratulations :P
How expensive was that beast ?
And yeah, please do, do post some renders. I love to see other people's work :)
Nvidia support, well, that's still under works, we are talking with Nvidia, when we know more and are allowed to post, we will ;)

Thanks. The price was 600 EUROs, i almost feel dirty for paying such money for a GPU... i certainly would not do it cause of gaming.
Right now i am helping out former colleague with some family house interior study and should get 500 EUROs for doing that, so that will basically get me the money back. I am slowly progressing with the model, could have some basic renders this week, so i will post them then.
Regarding rendering times, its still slower than for example Vray (i could do HD interior render with sixcore CPU in 20 minutes, it was awesome), but this is pathtracing after all, the lightning looks incredibly realistic...
Timmah!

Postby Boris28 » Mon May 02, 2011 8:40 am

I guess you send the Autocad file to 3ds max and render it, I worked for a architect once he did the same.
And thats a big problem for max because he creates a very high poly object altrought in autocad its not so high. And then you get huge slow down.
Boris28
-
-

Postby Timmah! » Mon May 02, 2011 10:17 am

boristhe wrote:I guess you send the Autocad file to 3ds max and render it, I worked for a architect once he did the same.
And thats a big problem for max because he creates a very high poly object altrought in autocad its not so high. And then you get huge slow down.

Its actually bit different for me, but it is basically the thing what you do and your workflow needs to be adjusted to it. Most of the time i do architectural/interior/urbanistic studies in fairly small scale (family houses, small admin buildings, small hotels...) given the fact i live in small city/country...Over here 95 percent of bigger scale stuff is made for the capital city :cry: .
I do all the 2D stuff with AutoCAD, then use it as template for doing 3D modelling with Max, so no prob with the high polycount, bar some bigger scenes with lot of details (interior) or foliage (exterior). It is true though, the viewport performance of Max with these latest Nvidia cards is shit for some reason, i think even my older Radeon 4870 was better in this regard. I suppose Nvidia is purposely crippling Geforces to make people buy Quadros :evil:
Then i export it as a OBJ and import into the Octane, which is standalone app, not plugin for Max (yet) and set the materials for the scene...and then render it. In fact it renders continually from the moment you import the scene, so you see all the changes in "realtime", but it needs indeed powerful GPU, or better 2 GPUs/dual card, as with only one card, you have to pause/unpause a lot, otherwise the interface is totally unresponsive (GPU does rendering and works as display adapter at the same time).
Timmah!

Postby Boris28 » Tue May 03, 2011 1:41 pm

Go to options and change it to OpenGL, DX is more stable and give better image but OpenGL is always way faster but you might get crashed constantly.
Boris28
-
-

Postby Timmah! » Tue May 03, 2011 3:03 pm

boristhe wrote:Go to options and change it to OpenGL, DX is more stable and give better image but OpenGL is always way faster but you might get crashed constantly.

Nvidia GTX400/500 GPU have some serious issues with OpenGL unfortunately... and its true, the viewport performance in Max is horrific with the 470 i have here at work... there is a topic about it on wikipedia page dedicated to GF400...however there is apparently a fix for it:

It has been reported by users as well as developers [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] that nVidia 400-series cards have severe performance problems with 3D content-creation applications such as Autodesk Maya and 3ds Max, Blender, Rhinoceros 3D—as well as some OpenGL games—to the extent that video cards two generations older routinely outperform 400-series in such applications and games. The problem, which affects any OpenGL application using textures, involves accessing framebuffer contents or storing data on the GPU. So far, one customer using an OpenGL based application got a response from nVidia support indicating that the behavior is expected in the GeForce 400 line of cards, and no software update is available to improve the performance of the hardware.[21]. The problem can be worked around with a hack by using a CUDA memory copy to access the buffer object.

Any idea, what does it mean and how exactly to do it?
Timmah!

Postby Boris28 » Tue May 03, 2011 4:28 pm

Dont mess with that you will lose an expensive card soon, I did once a firmware update and it worked. But I dont guarantee you that you will ever make the card work again.
Simple solution is maybe even hardware or new drivers which should come soon out, I know I had also a Geforce before this card now and my problem was it needed to much Watt then other cards I had only 550W. It was overheating all the time when I played games etc it was an nightmare.
Right now I have 750W works perfectly on Ati and I also installed water cooling for the whole comp inside.
Its super silent and the comp is even in high summer on 38-40 C super cool.

What power supply you have and how old is it?
Boris28
-
-

Postby Timmah! » Wed May 04, 2011 9:15 am

Well obviously as i do not know, what to do about it, i am not going to risk anything. For sure i would not be flashing new BIOS or anything like that, thats just asking for problems.
My PSU is Seasonic S-12D 750W (going by reviews pretty good PSU, which can supply power with 85 percent efficiency even at 80 percent load) and i have it (actually the rest of the computer bar this GPU and 2 Noctua fans) since August last year, so 9 months...and in this period i was definitely not running the machine 24/7...

Anyway judging by performance in Octane, the GPU works as it should, the bad Max viewport performance is probably just Nvidia trying to cripple Geforces to make people buy Quadros.

Now i do however have slight issue with my CPU...ocassionaly i test its performance with Cinebench R11,5 64bit to see if everything works as it should, and yesterday for the firstime it was not... i got score 0,8 point lesser than before on the same frequency and basically same settings as before... well i tested it multiple times after that and few times i managed to get the right score same as before(cca 9,6), but very next test 2 minutes later the score was again lower - 8,87!.. any idea what might be causing such high fluctuation? Do you thing CPU might got damaged or degraded or something and i should RMA it? Or its just some software issue, which i did not have before? Or might it have something to do with weak PSU now for both the CPU and the gtx590?
Timmah!

Next

Return to Offtopic