Offtopic

Latest creation

General chit chat

Latest creation

Postby Vampyre » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:32 am

Hello guys,

I truly know that I wasn't very much around lately... But I'm not forgetting about Gemini Wars. I've had some vacation. After those, I edited / cut / created music the movie from my vacation. And right now, I'm busy creating something really big for my next vacation.

So, so you can see what I did recently, here are my two latest creation.

First one is a trailer for the DVD I was creating. Creation is now complete, and the DVD is burnt. I managed to separate all the video tracks, and on the DVD, there are different options : the movie, scene selection, and bonus. On the bonus, I linked to the trailer, and another button show the funniest things that have happened during the vacation, and which are not on the final dvd (I don't know the name for that in english : the scenes that are cut).

Here is the trailer :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eavYJberNpw

The second one is the titling movie I just finished. For this one, I used another tool, because I couldn't do what I wanted in After Effects. I needed a lot of plug-ins into AE, while in my new program, it's native. It took me two weeks to do this small animation (2:37). What is big with this new project is that I will make it really professional. I hope to have my HD camera by then. So... The theme is to use a scenario for shooting during the vacation. I'm therefore busy writing the scenario right now, then I will need to make the story-board. I want also to edit the footage, and add some special effects. So, it felt logical to me to use the James Bond style construction. It would be perfect for my needs. I then created a titling motion with James Bond in mind. I looked at all the original titling motions, and wrote down the rules. I used those rules. So, for the attention to details, there are a lot of stuff out there. One of the rules is that the titling motion is using some hints at some clues during the movie. As I'm heading for Sicily, I only used references from Sicily. Congratulation if you spot them all ! I spotted 15 references. Who will find them all ?

You will also notice in the end that it is a weird fade to black. The meaning for that end scene is to replace the black with the opening sequence which will be shot in sicily later this summer. I'm also busy right now creating the famous gunbarrel sequence from James Bond. And I'm creating this one straight to the original. There will be only one difference, but I can't do the same effect without CG. Why do I do that ? Because I want to make the gunbarrel sequence open to the introduction scene. Therefore I need to create it all back. It is not finished at the moment, so...

Ok, now, the titling motion :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZESs3jM5uQ

Thanks for watching !

Oups, sorry about it, but I forgot to mention that people living in Germany will not be able to access the video as Youtube recognized the song and blocked the video into this country. Sorry for the german viewers.

And if you have any idea how I could embed youtube videos into this forum, feel free to tell me :-)
Vampyre

Re: Latest creation

Postby Vampyre » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:26 pm

ok... I thought there would be more reaction especially on the last one (not the trailer, the titling motion)...

Nevermind :-)
Vampyre

Postby BigB » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:13 pm

Vampyre wrote:ok... I thought there would be more reaction especially on the last one (not the trailer, the titling motion)...

Ahh sorry, I had already seen the video but didn't had the time to reply at that moment, and well, as you growth old things are pushed into the back of our minds :P
Really cool the second one, what software you used to make that ? I was gonna guess it's After Effects but you just said it isn't.
And those animated smokes, is that some other video you embedded with a alpha mask, or something generated in that software ?

Thanks for posting this.., if you do more, please keep posting them :)
BigB
-
-

Postby Timmah! » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:56 am

BigB wrote:
Vampyre wrote:ok... I thought there would be more reaction especially on the last one (not the trailer, the titling motion)...

Ahh sorry, I had already seen the video but didn't had the time to reply at that moment, and well, as you growth old things are pushed into the back of our minds :P
Really cool the second one, what software you used to make that ? I was gonna guess it's After Effects but you just said it isn't.
And those animated smokes, is that some other video you embedded with a alpha mask, or something generated in that software ?

Thanks for posting this.., if you do more, please keep posting them :)

Yeah, i am interested in this one too, it looks really cool.
Timmah!

Postby Vampyre » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:30 pm

Cool ! Some feedback !

So, the software for this one, though it's not After Effects, is very close to it... It's the competitor, Motion (Apple Motion). It's totally different from AE, and is more the way of Macs : light interface, with a lot of power behind the hood. The problem is : to get into the program, because it's less intuitive than AE... but far more powerful.

For the smokes, it's a basic trick I learned while doing some AE stuff. Usually, you would say it's an alpha mask. This particular example is not an alpha mask, but I used the luma mask. What's the difference ? Alphas are dealt with blacks and whites. Luma is the luminosity. For the smoke effects, I didn't had an alpha channel. So the effect was simply not working at all. I used the luma value (luminosity), which worked very nicely. It's also layered so that there is a background color running in the back, and all is masked with the luma value of the smoke.

I will do some more, that's for sure... But as I create stuff as it is needed for my movies, well, when is something I cannot answer. Or when I'll have some tries ;-) But I'll post them for sure.

To come back to the comparison, AE is highly popular, while Motion is less popular. But to make some interesting stuff in AE, you need to type some code at some moments, or to use plug ins... In Motion, an known effect using some free plug-in in AE is done in two clicks in Motion, natively. No big deal there, but that's how you notice the limitations of a software. Motion overkills AE with the text effects. Nothing can be done as easily as in Motion. But it's true, for animating masks, AE is easier. All in all, I find Motion perfect for me, while I get a little lost in AE. Well, that's also the same comparison as Windows and Mac. AE was created for Windows users, and ported to the mac after that. Motion, is pure apple product, and therefore created with the Mac user in mind. As I do prefer my mac to a pc, well, Motion is logical to me, and AE is a lot of possibilities, but is not as easy to me...
Vampyre

Postby Boris28 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:05 pm

Cool work man, I really wished I could see more of that beutifull mountines.
Boris28
-
-

Postby Timmah! » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:52 am

How long did it take to create the video? I mean i suppose it requires some high-end hardware, video-editing like this.... do you have Mac Pro desktop? What about CUDA, is it GPU accelerated, this Motion application?
Timmah!

Postby Vampyre » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:46 pm

Well, to create this video, it didn't took that long... The background effects with smoke effects and such didn't took me long... It was only about half a day... which is very surprising... In AE, it would have taken way more time to do... What was time consuming was the timing to the frame with the sound. I needed to have the perfect timing for each different effect, and sometimes I had to tweak to the frame... That was time consuming. What also took me a lot of time was the last effect : the flaming eyes... It was a real challenge, because I couldn't reproduce the rotation of the frame, as the eyes are not centered. They were rotating, but not staying inside the eyes. I had to make some maths to find out the correct displacement and the rotation to be perfectly aligned with the frame. I also tried to match the moves with a tracing routine, but as it is layered and already with effects, it was not working correctly... Then the titling itself took about two days. So, it's a nice amount of work, but not where it would have been expected :p All in all, that video is about two weeks work. (audio is also modified with soundbooth, another program from apple).

The challenge here was to use the knowledge I have with AE, and use it into another program. That was challenging... Now that I'm more confident, I'm pretty sure to be able to be faster next time.

For the hardware, I don't have anything fancy. A iMac 27" with 1Tb and only 4 gigs ram. So, nothing really fancy... Even the processors, they are still the old generation : i don't remember here (at work), but it's right before the i5 was release... So, for the power, it's not that high as a hardware. The application is of course GPU accelerated. But it's only available for the mac. No windows application here.
Vampyre

Return to Offtopic