Offtopic

Starcraft 2

General chit chat

Starcraft 2

Postby Vampyre » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:13 am

Hello guys,

Any player of Starcraft 2 out there ? Since its launch, I wanted to buy it (all Blizzard games are built for the mac as well), but as I never played starcraft before, I felt a little bit overwhelmed.

Well, a few days ago, I finally bought it. I remembered it because I'm eagerly waiting for Diablo 3, and checked their website. Since there is still no news for Diablo 3, or any release date announced, I bought Starcraft 2.

I asked my 200+ friends of Facebook who was playing it, but it seems none plays SC2. Is there any player out there who actually plays it, and would want to help me learning the online game ? I'm doing the campaign right now, but I feel so lost, because it's not how I play usually a STR. SC2 is very fast, and I don't know what to build, what order to do it... Unlike others, speed is the key... So, if any one wants to show me how to deal with the online, and help me learning it, feel free to answer... I'll add you in my friend list.
Vampyre

Re: Starcraft 2

Postby Timmah! » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:05 pm

My buddy wants me to buy it, so he can play it with someone :mrgreen: I am seriously considering it. If i do, we may try play few games then, but you wont learn anything from me, though i played lot of RTSes and they are one of my fav genres, only game i can give advices about these days, is Call of Duty: Black Ops. :geek:

What is the weather in Brussels BTW? Over here is quite warm today, my guess about 25 degrees C. Absolutely love it, this weather, only shame i am stuck at work :)
Timmah!

Postby Vampyre » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:18 pm

Same here... Beautiful blue sky, sun, and warm... And I'm two days off ! Even if I did had to work, I work outside :-D

Ok, thanks for the warning, but it's better to learn with another one who never played it rather than to learn against pro players :p
Vampyre

Postby Boris28 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:09 pm

A friend borowed me his, because he knows I love only single player campaign. So I played it trought, I loved it its a bit different from first game but still the same.
Main reason is because Starcraft is a national sport in some asian countries and they still play it for sport.
90% missions are timed and made for rushers which I didnt liked but still enjoyed the game as complete.
I gave the game back I dont know if he plays it online.
Boris28
-
-

Postby Timmah! » Tue May 10, 2011 11:45 am

So i got the StarCraft last week, but i have a technical difficulty with it, the game would freeze/unfreeze for me occasionaly. Specifically the screen freezes and the sound start to play in a loop, i can go to taskmanager and it says Not Responding, so at first i shut the game down, but then i found out if i wait, it will unfreeze and i can continue playing. I have latest Graphics drivers installed and obviously pretty good computer, so i am at loss, whats the problem. I tried to lower the graphical settings to Low, but it happened anyway.
Any idea what may be causing the game to freeze/sound loop and unfreeze? Could it be sound related? I have similar issue with PES 2011, at the beginning of the match, where commentary should start, the game tends to freeze this way and i can hear the stadium noise only, which eventually starts looping, until it magically fixes itself and the commentary will appear as well....
Timmah!

Postby Boris28 » Tue May 10, 2011 8:33 pm

Your gpu is eating to much power, usually it says on the case of it how much minimum Watt you must have to run it stable. Same happened to me last year until it died now i use ATI.
Boris28
-
-

Postby Timmah! » Tue May 10, 2011 9:32 pm

boristhe wrote:Your gpu is eating to much power, usually it says on the case of it how much minimum Watt you must have to run it stable. Same happened to me last year until it died now i use ATI.

Well its possible, but somehow i do not think this is the case. First of all, i have multiGPU disabled, so i play with one GPU core only. This should definitely lower the power consumption as the other core idles. Other thing, no other game bar PES has any issues, and you saw the picture in the other thread, it was converged using both cores to the max, it was rendering for 2,5 hours and it did not BSOD, freeze, crash or anything like that, simply rock stable. Last thing, i have Seasonic 750W PSU, the card requires 700W minimum... i admit this is bit on the edge and i even slightly overclocked the card, but it still should be enough (as i game only with one GPU and when i use both of them with Octane, then CPU is idling for change)... anyway i try the card on the default clocks to see, if that helps.
Timmah!

Postby Boris28 » Wed May 11, 2011 12:05 am

The best way to test is to cut off power supply any other consuption meaning turn off the cable of the dvd rom, any additioanal hdds apsolute everything just leave the main HDD and the GPU and then try to run a game. If that doesnt show what I think it is then I dont know anymore. Power supply by time as it gets older loses power I know it sound weird but its true the components inside burn away or fry to death. So if its older then 2-3 years he doesnt give you anymore full 700watt he gives you maybe 670Watt or even less.

Try that out.
Boris28
-
-

Postby Vampyre » Thu May 12, 2011 4:27 pm

Well, that's weird ! You have a way more powerful machine than I have... I'm still Core 2 Duo, at 3,08Ghz, 4 gigs ram... But the games runs smoothly with all the graphics maxed out, full resolution (2550 * 1440)... Not a single freeze at any moment...

I must say that it's a Mac architecture, but it's still the same things as a PC. Just the OS that handle things differently.

Saying that you i7 16 Gb ram couldn't hold that game is truly weird...
Vampyre

Postby Timmah! » Thu May 12, 2011 7:20 pm

boristhe wrote:The best way to test is to cut off power supply any other consuption meaning turn off the cable of the dvd rom, any additioanal hdds apsolute everything just leave the main HDD and the GPU and then try to run a game. If that doesnt show what I think it is then I dont know anymore. Power supply by time as it gets older loses power I know it sound weird but its true the components inside burn away or fry to death. So if its older then 2-3 years he doesnt give you anymore full 700watt he gives you maybe 670Watt or even less.

Try that out.

Well, i have the computer since last august, so the PSU should be still allright, and my disks are 2 SSDs and one WD Caviar Green, they should have minimal power consumption. But its indeed worth a try.
Timmah!

Next

Return to Offtopic