Offtopic

New competiton on the horizon

General chit chat

New competiton on the horizon

Postby Timmah! » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:36 pm

Or perhaps better said, old-new...
Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion

New subfactions, new titan class vessels, new corvette class, new capital ships, improved visuals...

what do you think?
Timmah!

Re: New competiton on the horizon

Postby BigB » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:37 pm

Yup, off course we heard :)

I don't think it's competition, it's Sins, I don't believe they will change much the gameplay of the game, it's a new expansion like all the previous ones. Sins lovers will get it no doubt about it :)
Our game plays diferent from Sins, it's much faster than Sins, and don't forget we have a campaign, something that Sins doens't.
Anyways, we shall see, I'm interested in the improved visuals too.
And you, what do you think ? :D
BigB
-
-

Postby Timmah! » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:26 pm

BigB wrote:Yup, off course we heard :)

I don't think it's competition, it's Sins, I don't believe they will change much the gameplay of the game, it's a new expansion like all the previous ones. Sins lovers will get it no doubt about it :)
Our game plays diferent from Sins, it's much faster than Sins, and don't forget we have a campaign, something that Sins doens't.
Anyways, we shall see, I'm interested in the improved visuals too.
And you, what do you think ? :D

Well, though it is different, it is closest thing we have to compare, i cannot recall any space RTS in last few years.
Personally i do not expect much to be changed, as it is not going to be Sins 2, but expansion pack... basically it is going to be more content and they can hardly break something with it (bar multiplayer balance, but that is apparently broken anyway ;) )...so i expect it to be good and definitely look forward to it, but as GW is more mysterious and feels more fresh right now, i am more excited about your game. Not to mention i prefer faster pace and if you can make campaign on par with Homeworld, i might give it a try too, so that is definitely additional value in there. But to be fair, forgive me, i am bit sceptical here right now, that game was masterpiece in every thinkable way, i had fun with lot of games since then (played Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer 230 hours LOL, like a kiddo), but none came close to its atmosphere... so surprise me guys, i felt incredible during the final cutscene with Adagio for Strings playing in the background, i want to feel something like that again, passion, sadness, satisfaction... its Herculean task in front of you :)
BTW they even managed to hook me even with their credits at the end of the game with Homeworld song from Yes, that kind of introduced that band to me and it became one of my favs... last summer their singer sang on one local event, so i went there and it was brilliant. Do you know/like Yes? Or progressive rock is not your "cup of tea"...?
Timmah!

Postby Latent12 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:00 pm

Ya though the mini-expansons of Sins are good, I think GW is going to bring bigger differences compared to Rebellion vs Sins. Those big changes in GW are peaking my interest much more than Sins 1.5
Latent12

Postby BigB » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:26 am

Thanks Latent12., I hope we don't disappoint you :)
BigB
-
-

Postby Latent12 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:17 pm

No pressure man just bring your best :D
Latent12

Postby Timmah! » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:13 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmOHOW24_i8&feature=player_embedded

:shock:

looks pretty good, they really worked on the marketing side of things this time around
Timmah!

Postby BigB » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:48 pm

Timmah! wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmOHOW24_i8&feature=player_embedded

looks pretty good, they really worked on the marketing side of things this time around

Looks really good :)
It was about time the finally used some cinematics in Sins.
I wonder if they use them also in the game, or it's just for marketing.
BigB
-
-

Postby Timmah! » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:52 pm

BigB wrote:
Timmah! wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmOHOW24_i8&feature=player_embedded

Doubtful, its just marketing.

But i do not care, however i would absolutely love, if the actual ingame graphics looked like that. You know it could be done, just one notch higher "detail" settings for the ship models and better lightning and FX effects, combined with a strong LOD system and modern GPU i am sure there would be no problems. X3 game does not really looks worse than that video.
Timmah!

Postby BigB » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:39 am

Timmah! wrote:
BigB wrote:

Doubtful, its just marketing.

But i do not care, however i would absolutely love, if the actual ingame graphics looked like that. You know it could be done, just one notch higher "detail" settings for the ship models and better lightning and FX effects, combined with a strong LOD system and modern GPU i am sure there would be no problems. X3 game does not really looks worse than that video.

X3 is not a strategy game, you don't have as many ships on screen at the same time as in a strategy game, you cannot compare the requirements of a simulator with the ones of a strategy game.
It's really not the same thing.
But yes, it could look a lot better (like Gemini Wars :mrgreen: ) but Sins is also a old engine, let's see what can they do with Sins2.
BigB
-
-

Next

Return to Offtopic