Offtopic

Star Trek Infinite Space

General chit chat

Star Trek Infinite Space

Postby Timmah! » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:55 pm

I just found out there is a new Star Trek game in the making, called Infinite Space...supposedly its going to be online browser based game, set in the DS9 time period...not sure about the genre....
The trailer looks absolutely stunning though...when we were talking about the licenses, well no words can describe how i would LOVE Star Trek based game like GW and somehow like this i would imagine the trailer for that game to look like.
The sad part is , that game will be probably just another boring casual space shooter, while GW -though i am sure will end up brilliant, will lack exactly this one last touch of awesomeness to be maybe best game ever... you just can never have it all, it can be so frustrating...

Anyway, here is the link:

http://blogs.evtrib.com/nerdvana/2010/1 ... n-the-way/
Timmah!

Re: Star Trek Infinite Space

Postby Vampyre » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:37 pm

Thanks for this video... I'm taking the risk here to get caught under heavy fire, but I'm not a star trek fan. I'm more into Star Wars rather than Star Trek. So, I won't judge this one, as I'm not that impartial about Star Trek.

But, I feel a little bit disappointed by the trailer. At start, it's beautiful. It looks like out of a movie. Aren't some of the scenes used in the trailer coming actually from movies or series ? Sorry, for asking, but there is a heavy level of detail at the start that it could be done for a movie.

But after some sequences, I feel like the quality of the trailer is dropping. I noticed some really poor textures (if you compare to the enterprises, some vessels truly lack of any detail at all)... Then it comes back, and go off again... In a sequence, I spotted a black contour around a ship (bad compositing on this one sequence)...

All in all, it's rather good looking, but... Nothing is perfect ;-) As you said :-)

I don't know what's the DS9, and web browsers games don't attract me much more than that...

But thanks for sharing :-)
Vampyre

Postby BigB » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:01 am

I like the trailler , it's cool, doesn't tell anything new just ships fighting, but they don't need to do much more than that, everyone knows star trek anyways.
I'm not a big fan of startrek either, i'm more a star wars guy too.
But we shall see what kind of game this will be, they don't tell if it's a shooter, simulator,strategy, or anything.
Thanks for the info timmah
BigB
-
-

Postby Boris28 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:00 am

The trailer looks not bad altrought as Vampyre says the quality drops after few seconds, I'm a bit shocked where did they got the license and how many milions they paid for it. A "casual game?" another shock very interesting thanks Timmah.
But yeh defintly would love to see what its gonna be I just hope not some 2d cubes moveing in a browser. :P
Boris28
-
-

Postby Boris28 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:28 am

I just searched a bit around the net, its gonna be a online multiplayer rpg in space with micro payments. Thats dissapointing a bit. And they payed milions for license.

http://board.startrek-is.com/board3-new ... /#post6828
Boris28
-
-

Postby Timmah! » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:09 am

boristhe wrote:I just searched a bit around the net, its gonna be a online multiplayer rpg in space with micro payments. Thats dissapointing a bit. And they payed milions for license.

http://board.startrek-is.com/board3-new ... /#post6828

As i said, it probably wont be nothing special, which is why i feel sad :)
Regarding licenses, i think the Gameforge, who are apparently quite a big company competing in the MMO business, got the license for heavy millions and found developers for the game. They - Keen Games - are now in a situation, where they were given the license for free, but they have to make the game as the Gameforge wishes, and Gameforge obviously wants it to be MMORPG with micropayments, i doubt this was the developer decision. At least this is how i believe it works. I think we can agree, Sins and now GW are kinda niche games, well if GW will be more of RTS, it might have a bigger appeal....but it still wont be StarCraft. And if someone ever gave you such a license, worth millions, they would expect you to make a million copy game with it, not a niche game...so basically there is almost none possibilty for the game like GW/Sins in ST universe, what is exactly what i want and that makes me sad... :| i am such a nerd :geek: :D

Regarding the technical quality of the trailer, i think it was fine....obviously it was not like CGI from movies, but i think the models used there were actually those used ingame. I was actually more dissapointed there were no Dominion ships alongside those Cardassians :D
Timmah!

Postby Timmah! » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:17 am

Vampyre wrote:Thanks for this video... I'm taking the risk here to get caught under heavy fire, but I'm not a star trek fan. I'm more into Star Wars rather than Star Trek. So, I won't judge this one, as I'm not that impartial about Star Trek.

But, I feel a little bit disappointed by the trailer. At start, it's beautiful. It looks like out of a movie. Aren't some of the scenes used in the trailer coming actually from movies or series ? Sorry, for asking, but there is a heavy level of detail at the start that it could be done for a movie.

But after some sequences, I feel like the quality of the trailer is dropping. I noticed some really poor textures (if you compare to the enterprises, some vessels truly lack of any detail at all)... Then it comes back, and go off again... In a sequence, I spotted a black contour around a ship (bad compositing on this one sequence)...

All in all, it's rather good looking, but... Nothing is perfect ;-) As you said :-)

I don't know what's the DS9, and web browsers games don't attract me much more than that...

Heresy! :D :mrgreen:
Seriously though, you have your preferences and tastes as i do have mine, but if you do not know, what DS9 stands for (Deep Space Nine), you probably never seen it and in that case you are bit premature in saying you prefer something else over it.
Timmah!

Postby Vampyre » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:36 am

Aaaah ! DS9 is Deep Space Nine ! Ok, lol... Said like that... ;-) I can tell I saw the movies, and even tried the series... But... I'm not caught by it... I couldn't tell what exactly I don't like... If you make Star Wars vs Star Trek, I would say star wars is more epic and classic (its story is a pale copy of the Ulysse's Odyssey, who was written in old greek times), while Star Trek is more into some actual problems of our society transposed into space. It's totally different point of view, but... sorry, I'm not a trekkie...

But I do have respect for the ones who like star trek more than star wars :-) I don't want to have it right or wrong, it's only a matter of taste I guess :-) And I'm for sure do not want to start a flame war between Star Wars and Star Trek :-)
Vampyre

Postby Timmah! » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:41 am

Vampyre wrote:Aaaah ! DS9 is Deep Space Nine ! Ok, lol... Said like that... ;-) I can tell I saw the movies, and even tried the series... But... I'm not caught by it... I couldn't tell what exactly I don't like... If you make Star Wars vs Star Trek, I would say star wars is more epic and classic (its story is a pale copy of the Ulysse's Odyssey, who was written in old greek times), while Star Trek is more into some actual problems of our society transposed into space. It's totally different point of view, but... sorry, I'm not a trekkie...

But I do have respect for the ones who like star trek more than star wars :-) I don't want to have it right or wrong, it's only a matter of taste I guess :-) And I'm for sure do not want to start a flame war between Star Wars and Star Trek :-)

No flame war, dont worry.
Timmah!

Postby InFi[D]eL » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:33 pm

Vampyre wrote:Thanks for this video... I'm taking the risk here to get caught under heavy fire, but I'm not a star trek fan. I'm more into Star Wars rather than Star Trek. So, I won't judge this one, as I'm not that impartial about Star Trek.

/me opens fire with all batteries.
InFi[D]eL

Return to Offtopic