Offtopic

[Off-Topic] Nothing to declare

General chit chat

[Off-Topic] Nothing to declare

Postby Vampyre » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:21 am

Hey guys,

Yesterday, I've been to the movies with my wife, and decided to go and see "Rien à déclarer" (nothing to declare). It's a french movie, so I'm not sure it is already internationalised... But chances are good that it will in the future or already is. This movie is the latest movie of Dany Boon (Bienvenue chez les Chtis), which received international acclaim.

Starring our belgian star (no, not Jean-Claude) Benoît Poelvoorde (well known for Podium, or "c'est arrivé près de chez vous"), it's the story of border agents when Europe opened its borders to free circulation of people and goods. Dany Boon (the french border agent) is in love with Benoit Poelvoorde's sister. Benoit is the belgian border agent, and is a heavy anti-french people.

It's a nice demonstration of what happens between french and belgians. The fringe between the ridiculous and the too serious is very thin, especially when having such strong characters. But Dany Boon is very good at it, and belgians and french are really nicely acted, and the way to speak is very typical without being one or the other ridiculous. So, for all the people wanting to see what's the relation between french and belgians, go and see Rien à déclarer.

The movie is hilarous, with incredible situations, always funny, and at no moment, nor the frenchs nor the belgians are ridiculous... A very well thought movie, smart and funny... (and yes, french jokes on belgian, and belgian jokes on frenchs are in the movie as well)

We had good laugh...

For those who want the trailer, here it is, but unfortunately, I didn't managed to find a subtitled version in english... So, BigB, feel free to ask for translation to your wife ! And she will say for sure that she knows why I'm proud to be a belgian... Hahaha... Fight starts again ! Here is a quick translation from the start with that guy talking to its kid :

- in what country is papa now ?
- in belgium ?
- and what is belgium ?
- the most beautiful of countries
- and what country is papa now ?
- in france ?
- which is a land of...
- a land of big assholes...

Ok, stopping there... :p See the rest for you :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85vGQwen4vk
Vampyre

Re: [Off-Topic] Nothing to declare

Postby Timmah! » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:58 am

Interesting, unfortunately i need to wait for english subs, cause i do not speak french :) the trailer looks good though

BTW i read in one of our serious magazine, which aspires to be something like American Time, that Belgium is quite a "mess" these days, politics wise. They implied there is almost no chance for the political parties to create stable government, so the whole country is in quite a pat situation, not moving forward. Basically there is a possibility, that it may come to breaking of the Belgium into 2 countries... is it true? :shock: :? What is your feeling about that?
I am not biggest patriot myself and i was never in east part of my country (which is about big as Belgium), but if something like that was about to happen here, i would probably feel disturbed. I still find it hilarious, that in this age of globalisation, there are countries breaking up...you can understand that in Sudan, but Belgium?
Timmah!

Postby BigB » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:45 pm

I already heard about this movie, but haven't seen it yet.
I don't know much about Belgium, but the problem there I think it's with Flandres, right ?
I also heard the country was about to break appart, and the king asked for a timeout just while Belgium has the presidency of EU, but i'm not even sure about this :)
What country are you from Timmahl ?
BigB
-
-

Postby Timmah! » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:09 pm

BigB wrote:I already heard about this movie, but haven't seen it yet.
I don't know much about Belgium, but the problem there I think it's with Flandres, right ?
I also heard the country was about to break appart, and the king asked for a timeout just while Belgium has the presidency of EU, but i'm not even sure about this :)
What country are you from Timmahl ?

I am from Slovakia.
Timmah!

Postby Vampyre » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:57 pm

Ok, found how to move this one... Now I know what's a shadow topic :p
Vampyre

Postby Vampyre » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:47 pm

I also heard the country was about to break appart, and the king asked for a timeout just while Belgium has the presidency of EU, but i'm not even sure about this

Sorry, I didn't noticed this answer... Sorry about that... Well, the actual problem of Belgium has nothing to do with the movie. The movie is about france / belgium relationship (french jokes on belgians, belgian jokes on french people, ...)

But the actual problem of Belgium is very difficult to understand. It's not the people... It's about the government... Or at least the politicians, has we don't have a government since... well... Something like more than 250 days. We are #2 in the world who have been waiting for so long with no government in place. I didn't found who was the #1, but we are good to become the new world record without government.

Problem is that whatever could the french part of the country say, something annoys the flamish part, and they stop the discussions. Or the other way around as well... So, no discussion, no government. People themselves do not care at all... I work everyday in the flamish part, with flamish people, and do speak flamish, I don't get any problem... And the other way around is also true. The details about the fight between the politicians is very heavy to understand, so I won't go into the details, but the guy who's blocking the negotiations (Bart de Wever) is a kind of extremist, and once said that if he can't get everything he wants from the french part, then the flamish part will go its own way.

Belgian division is a tale running since years now, and never happened. So I'm not afraid of the separation of Belgium... Nobody will ever let that happen.

Hope it helps a little bit more to understand what's happening in here. If I find some interesting article about the problems, I'll post it here, but it's really heavy to understand (the basics problems lies in history and geography of Belgium, so it might be difficult to grasp it all)...
Vampyre

Postby Timmah! » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:44 pm

Vampyre wrote:
I also heard the country was about to break appart, and the king asked for a timeout just while Belgium has the presidency of EU, but i'm not even sure about this

Sorry, I didn't noticed this answer... Sorry about that... Well, the actual problem of Belgium has nothing to do with the movie. The movie is about france / belgium relationship (french jokes on belgians, belgian jokes on french people, ...)

But the actual problem of Belgium is very difficult to understand. It's not the people... It's about the government... Or at least the politicians, has we don't have a government since... well... Something like more than 250 days. We are #2 in the world who have been waiting for so long with no government in place. I didn't found who was the #1, but we are good to become the new world record without government.

Problem is that whatever could the french part of the country say, something annoys the flamish part, and they stop the discussions. Or the other way around as well... So, no discussion, no government. People themselves do not care at all... I work everyday in the flamish part, with flamish people, and do speak flamish, I don't get any problem... And the other way around is also true. The details about the fight between the politicians is very heavy to understand, so I won't go into the details, but the guy who's blocking the negotiations (Bart de Wever) is a kind of extremist, and once said that if he can't get everything he wants from the french part, then the flamish part will go its own way.

Belgian division is a tale running since years now, and never happened. So I'm not afraid of the separation of Belgium... Nobody will ever let that happen.

Hope it helps a little bit more to understand what's happening in here. If I find some interesting article about the problems, I'll post it here, but it's really heavy to understand (the basics problems lies in history and geography of Belgium, so it might be difficult to grasp it all)...

Thanks for the explanation. If you manage to find something or there will be some kind of movement regarding the situation, feel free to post it, i find these historical-political relations most interesting.
Timmah!

Postby Vampyre » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:07 pm

Vampyre

Return to Offtopic