Offtopic

Memories

General chit chat

Memories

Postby Timmah! » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:57 am

Hey,

seeing Con7con´s thread about his RTS project brought back memories, how i attempted myself to do "something" in the past...so i checked some old back-up DVDs and now i decided to post it, just for fun. It kinda explains why i am a fan of co7Gemini Wars or basically any other space RTS out there, or why did i asked about Star Trek license, etc... its because i always had ambition to do something like you do/Con7con doesmyself.

Technically, this stuff was never a real attempt to create a game, because even if i wanted to, i never had the any programming skill what so ever...which is indeed the bottom line. So it always ended just with these artwork pieces, i am posting now. I had even videos! unfortunately i was unable to find it, i suspect it got lost over the years... it was animation of several Federation ships attacking the Borg cube, even with explosions, from the perspective as these screenshots are... there was actually weapon fire, torpedoes and beams and even some explosions made by using AVI file... i remember it was quite complicated, despite the fact there were only few things happening, i hsd to draw/write a chart/timetable, so i kept some overview of what and when needs to happen... therefore kudos to Boris for doing those trailers/ingame movies, it really is a difficult task, not to mention when you have to deal with character animations and those Inverse Kinematics things, Parent-children dependencies.... my head would certainly blow, if i had to do it and keep track of all these things...



Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


this was my imagination of Babylon 5 based RTS game, similar to Conquest Frontier Wars/Star Trek Armada


and then Star Trek version of it:

Image

Image

Image

Image


All the stuff was made by me, with the exception of textures, which i nicked from internet/Star Trek Armada folder :mrgreen:


Finally, i actually tried to learn some programming, one summer holiday, i chose the GameMaker as the tool, as it was supposed to be easy, but even that proved to be a no-go for me :D Just seeing the manual to code just a simple shooter game, i felt overwhelmed. In the end this entire venture ended up with me taking the "example" shooter game and replacing the art with my own, i did not write a single line of any code/ whatever was the system with the icons in Gamemaker - myself :mrgreen:
If you are bored and want to give it a try, here it is, originally it was a WW2 plane shooter, therefore the icon with Japanese Zero Fighter... i made it into Babylon 5 shooter, where you fly WhiteStar and have to shoot down Centauri Vorchans, Narn Cruisers and some other stuff... BTW it does not work for me now, under Win 7 for some reason, it gets stuck in the Processes tab, but never shows up on the screen... so maybe its pointless

http://www.ulozto.cz/xPFWd6M/b5-shooter-exe

Enjoy! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Timmah! on Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Timmah!
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: Memories

Postby Boris28 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:05 pm

Looks very Babylonish 5 game style, which i personally loved as well :)
Boris28
-
-
 
Posts: 287
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:16 pm

Re: Memories

Postby Con7con » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:31 pm

It looks wunderbar.
User avatar
Con7con
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:17 pm

Re: Memories

Postby BigB » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:43 am

Hey Timmah,

What exactly are those shots ?
I don't understand what you did there.., this is a screenshot of a composition of models then you made a video or something ?
I'm not getting what you did, because you said you didn't program it, so., what are we seeing in those screenshots ?
User avatar
BigB
-
-
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:40 pm

Re: Memories

Postby Timmah! » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:26 am

BigB wrote:Hey Timmah,

What exactly are those shots ?
I don't understand what you did there.., this is a screenshot of a composition of models then you made a video or something ?
I'm not getting what you did, because you said you didn't program it, so., what are we seeing in those screenshots ?


Those shots are just my imagination of the game, i would create, if i had needed means/skills/knowledge. Because my only skill, as far as development of computer games goes, is/was graphics related, these pictures are only thing to show off, there is no "code" or engine or whatever else, because i never knew how to do that...

The camera position is chosen relative to the ships, so it looks like a screenshot from game - like aforementioned ST Armada or CFW. And there was actually a short low-res video (given the hardware restrictions i had back then, showing the ships in motion, so it would seem like a mock-up of a game - again. There is nothing more to that.

@Con7con - thanks :)
User avatar
Timmah!
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: Memories

Postby BigB » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:14 pm

Timmah! wrote:
BigB wrote:Hey Timmah,

What exactly are those shots ?
I don't understand what you did there.., this is a screenshot of a composition of models then you made a video or something ?
I'm not getting what you did, because you said you didn't program it, so., what are we seeing in those screenshots ?


Those shots are just my imagination of the game, i would create, if i had needed means/skills/knowledge. Because my only skill, as far as development of computer games goes, is/was graphics related, these pictures are only thing to show off, there is no "code" or engine or whatever else, because i never knew how to do that...

The camera position is chosen relative to the ships, so it looks like a screenshot from game - like aforementioned ST Armada or CFW. And there was actually a short low-res video (given the hardware restrictions i had back then, showing the ships in motion, so it would seem like a mock-up of a game - again. There is nothing more to that.

@Con7con - thanks :)


I understand they are just imagination and not a real game, but, what are they ?
I mean, it's assembled in photoshop or something ?
User avatar
BigB
-
-
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:40 pm

Re: Memories

Postby BigB » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:15 pm

BigB wrote:
Timmah! wrote:
BigB wrote:Hey Timmah,

What exactly are those shots ?
I don't understand what you did there.., this is a screenshot of a composition of models then you made a video or something ?
I'm not getting what you did, because you said you didn't program it, so., what are we seeing in those screenshots ?


Those shots are just my imagination of the game, i would create, if i had needed means/skills/knowledge. Because my only skill, as far as development of computer games goes, is/was graphics related, these pictures are only thing to show off, there is no "code" or engine or whatever else, because i never knew how to do that...

The camera position is chosen relative to the ships, so it looks like a screenshot from game - like aforementioned ST Armada or CFW. And there was actually a short low-res video (given the hardware restrictions i had back then, showing the ships in motion, so it would seem like a mock-up of a game - again. There is nothing more to that.

@Con7con - thanks :)


I understand they are just imagination and not a real game, but, what are they ?
I mean, it's assembled in photoshop or something ?
You say there was a movie with the ships in motion., done in something like a primitive version of After Effects at the time ?
User avatar
BigB
-
-
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:40 pm

Re: Memories

Postby Timmah! » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:53 pm

BigB wrote:
I understand they are just imagination and not a real game, but, what are they ?
I mean, it's assembled in photoshop or something ?
You say there was a movie with the ships in motion., done in something like a primitive version of After Effects at the time ?


Ah, sorry, i misunderstood, what you meant.
Its made with 3dsmax, rendered with the mental ray renderer. Then IIRC i might have slightly adjusted it in Photoshop, add some more glow to weapons fire. But its basically pure max, by "made by me" i meant i built all those ship models and UV-mapped them, then set-up the lightning, glow effects and finally rendered it. The movie, or better said animation, i was unable to salvage, was then made in max too, it was pretty basic stuff like moving ships along paths, making things visible/invisible and setting all kinds of those animation keys...
User avatar
Timmah!
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: Memories

Postby Traverser » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:57 am

@Timmah,

Impressive renders. Too bad you lost / can't find any movie clips you rendered. Would've loved to see how it looked in motion.

Kudos for mentioning Conquest Frontier Wars, I still play that now and then.

Are you aware of the Star Trek Armada II Fleet Operations Mod? Check out this old YouTube clip of 2009 of Fleet Ops 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I43XNu0jZB4

I bet that's how you'd imagine those battles :-)

Again cool renders man.
Traverser
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:01 am

Re: Memories

Postby Timmah! » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:35 pm

Thanks buddy, glad to hear you like it.

I am aware of Fleet Ops mod, i think i even tried it at some point, but unfortunately i never liked Armada 2 that much, CFW was IMHO far superior game. BTW I tried to mod Conquest myself, i mean i tried to do the first step of replacing the existing ships with those Trek models i used on these screenshots, unfortunately there was an issue with the model orientation, no matter what i did, they never faced the right direction. So eventually i gave it up, i have some screenshots somewhere though, maybe i will post them here.
User avatar
Timmah!
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:27 pm

Next

Return to Offtopic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron