Offtopic

Desperatly searching a space empire game

General chit chat

Desperatly searching a space empire game

Postby Vampyre » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:05 pm

Hey guys,

You all know Civilizations... You might have heard of Hearts of Iron 3. Well, I'm a player of both. And i like very much the grand strategy style of games. I love Hearts of Iron 3 for its complexity. It's more an excel game than anything else, but when you invest yourself in it, it is very rewarding. It's a demanding game, only for hard core players.

What I'm searching is a space empire 5 with the complexity of Hearts of Iron 3. And for those who do not know what I mean, Civilizations is the kind of gameplay I'm searching for. Civ is very easy against Hearts of Iron. Basically you start the game small, and must become the grand ruler of the world. That's Civ.

I'm searching a game like Civ (start small, and build your empire), with the complexity of Hearts of Iron 3. The whole in space.
The closest game I can think of is Imperium Galactica 2 (which was awesome on its time)...

Not an easy thing to find. But I did some research. Maybe you guys have already played those, and could give me some advice.

- Sword of the Stars : It seems it had some nice reviews, but all critics I read mention that the battles are just about clicking stuff in space. The fun is to create your own ships, and expand, and defend. To ultimately become the ruler. It is always been considered like a lesser version of Galactic Civilizations 2.

- Sword of the Stars 2 : promising stuff, but... not ready yet to be playable...

- Galactic Civilizations 2 : very good, I own it, but I feel not that immersed in the universe due to its rigid 2D and when I think of space, it is huge. The maps are too small to my opinion. I own it but I don't feel the same stuff as I felt in Imperium Galactica 2.

- Space Empire 5 : hugly graphics, rigid 2D, but it seems it has the complexity level I like. I tried the demo, but I can't resize the window no matter what I setup. It's always 1028 * 760 windowed). I'm not sure the maps are randomised. Bad sense of the universe as a whole.

- Distant Worlds : There is no demo to try it out. I watched let's play who showed me a high level of sophistication, a huge universe. But I don't know if it is good.

If you have any other game to suggest, or if you can critic any of the games here above, please do ! :-)
Vampyre

Re: Desperatly searching a space empire game

Postby Anguille » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:42 pm

My favorite is Armada 2526 with the Supernova addon.

It's turn-based, has a good AI (especially with the last patch), decent graphics, many races with different objectives and you have very very big maps. Imho, it's the game you're looking for.

Distant Worlds is great too but you'll need both addons.

Cheers
Anguille

Postby Vampyre » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:59 pm

Thanks Anguille,

I'll watch some let's play Armada 2526. I had seen this title sometimes, but didn't checked it yet... Doing this right away...
Vampyre

Postby Vampyre » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:59 pm

Thanks Anguille,

I'll watch some let's play Armada 2526. I had seen this title sometimes, but didn't checked it yet... Doing this right away...
Vampyre

Postby Timmah! » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:04 pm

Hehe, you seem to have all the possibilities covered, cant really think of any other space TBS, bar the old ones...but then, these kind of games are not my forte. I am SoaSE/GeminiWars/Pax Imperia 2 kind of guy :geek:
Actually i am bit envious, that you have fun playing these games, they do fascinate me as well, i would like to play them, but i just know, i would get bored very quickly. So in the end i end up playing few matches of PES or Call of Duty....again.

Anyway, if you seek for an advice, regarding SotS, Distants Worlds and Armada 2526, try these topics on SoaSE boards:

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/413539

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/414225

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/413149

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/382356

Hopefully this might help you to choose the right game for you.
Timmah!

Postby Vampyre » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:38 pm

Thank you Timmahl... I will take a look at those. I just tried Distand Worlds... This is a HUGE game... Before mastering every single piece of it, it would take years... And it's only a two man project ! I just took a quick look... and saw that it was more than two hours I was playing... Really interesting fact !

What I like
- the universe is huge... 1400 max systems... 50 000 planets + all the moons... this is just so freaking huge ! I like feeling lost in space... And in my two hours playtime, I only got 10 colonies out of 9 systems...
- great complexity... before mastering that all alone (you can automate every task in the game if you want and just click yes or no when the ai is asking you something.
- great ai... it is well programmed and i got the ai asking me if I wanted to build something about in the time I wondered if I shouldn't be building that very same stuff

What I don't lilke
- text ! omg ! The texts on my screen are just awful. I have a huge screen (2560 * 1440), and the texts are WAY to small... My wife asked me why I wasn't putting the game fullscreen to read it easier... The problem is : I already was in fullscreen.
- the automation : it starts with everything activated. So if you don't care, when you first unpause the game, everything jumps anywhere.
- the lack of references (how many civilizations should I put as adversaries ? I thought 4 would be a cool start... After 2 hours, I still didn't managed to cross even 1. I should make it 12 or 20 on the same size of map (700 stars))

In conclusion : it looks a really cool game, with lots of gameplay value, and a heavy complexity... It will remains in my choices when I will decide.

For Space Empire 5 : I still did not managed to get it working in full screen mode. I can set 2560 * 1440, it remains windowed no matter what... weirdo... And I can't find the ini script to overwrite those stuff... I think I can forget about Space Empire 5.
Vampyre

Postby Shadowsun » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:17 pm

hmm...

when i think realtime space empire management the first thing that comes to mind is "Star Ruler"

definatly worth taking a look at

-Shas
Shadowsun

Return to Offtopic