Offtopic

The games I'm waiting for in 2012

General chit chat

The games I'm waiting for in 2012

Postby Vampyre » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:14 pm

Hi guys,

This is the end of the year, and I wondered what games you guys are waiting for in 2012 ? For me, this is quite a good list...

- DOTA 2
- Diablo 3
- Prison Architect (indie game)
- Legend of Grimrock (indie game)
- StarCraft 2 - Heart of the Swarm.
- A Valley Without Winds (even though I'm already playing this one in open beta) (indie game)

- Gemini Wars, but who had a doubt about that ? :p

And you guys, what will you play next year ?
Vampyre

Re: The games I'm waiting for in 2012

Postby Anguille » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:05 am

Other than Gemini Wars, these are the games i look forward to in 2012:

Legends of Pegasus (a 4x published by Kalypso).
Commander: the great war WWI (published by Slitherine)
Brother against Brother: The Drawing of the Sword Civil War game (published by Matrix).
Anguille

Postby Timmah! » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:56 am

Obviously Gemini Wars and Sins: Rebellion

than as every year obligatory Pro Evolution Soccer and perhaps next Call of Duty

CnC Generals 2, but this is going to be 2013 game. so it does not count

and then we will see, not aware about sequel to any game i loved in the past....oh, Max Payne and GTA V, but not sure if they will be on PC, Mass Effect 3 looks good and i might like it, but i will be probably unable to finish it, its too big for me to keep me interested, this was at least the issue with the first one, which i tried to play for a while.

bit OT now...

right now though, i am planning to get LA Noire for Christmas, not sure if i will like it though....
and for iPhone i am definitely getting World of Goo and Broken Sword, maybe GTA III as well. I saw there is a Worms game for it, i wonder how does it work, if it is playable on such a small screen.
Timmah!

Postby Anguille » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:27 pm

Yeah, Sins: Rebellion too...i have already preordered it a long time ago.
Anguille

Postby Boris28 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:05 pm

I Think about now what to play for xmas I think Batman Arkham city and will buy some indie game dunno which one yet. Any good rts out there?
Boris28
-
-

Postby Vampyre » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:48 pm

Yeah there sure is... It's out since a little while now.. The graphics are awful, but the fun resides in its gameplay and its huge possibilities... It's an indie game, so I think you might already have seen it. The game is called AI War : Fleet Command. I own this game and all its expansions (and waiting for the next one). The game generates maps randomly, and is based on unity engine.

Once the map is generated, you are given 1 planet. In the game, humans created an AI, and the AI crushed the human until they were no more of a threat. The AI controls almost everything else in the galaxy. The game is a STR with a little bit of a 4X. For the gameplay, I always start producing and launching scouts everywhere I can until they die... I always try to send two (one survives and plays the spy on this system), then I go with another one, until I cannot go any further without being destroyed. Then you protect your home system (if your home system is destroyed, that is game over). Once it is done, it's time to expand. You need to find out what system is possible (heavy ressources system, or to better protect your world (for example if it's on a node, you can protect that one only)). Once you start to agress the AI territory, she will learn from your actions in game (really, it does that), and try to avoid making the same mistake again. She also raises its threat level against you.

To make it short, if you understand the keys in here, if you want to finish the game with all systems colonised by you, you will fail, no doubt about it... The AI will be too aggressive to even be competitive (I once triggered a counter-attack from the AI : she spawned 15,000 ships at once in the system. It destroyed my protections on the gates in seconds, and under 1 minutes all my colonies were gone). To win at AI war, is to find the balance between defense, strength, huge army and... less systems. The less systems you have, the lower threat you are for the AI...

So it's a really interesting game mechanic, and I love that game...

And it is playable in multiplayer, only in co-op mode. One last thing : that game is time addictive : one game goes on for days... and I mean it... The tutorial took me two days to finish... And it's only 10 systems... Imagine when a standard map is 80 stars...

Really fun game and truly strategic with a HELL of options for the ships...

AI War : Fleet Command, with its expansions : light of the spire, children of the neinzul, and the Zenith Remnant.
You can find it on steam, or directly to arcengames website (they are doing 30% off on the whole game, more info on here : http://www.arcengames.com/w/index.php/aiwar-alienbundle

There is also a demo available and is for PC and Mac. It's not nice to see the graphics, but try at least playing it... the fun is in playing, not watching :p
Vampyre

Postby Vampyre » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:06 pm

Oh btw Timmahl, even though I love Sins (truly great game)... I think I won't be buying Rebellion... You are kidding me ? After having bougth Sins, then Entrenchment and Diplomacy (all appart), I will need to buy the game again ? It's good for newcomers who never played Sins... But for the old guys supporting this game since its beginning, it's a little treason to my opinion... For me it will only be an expansion pack at 40$. For a newcomer, it will be a new game at 40$. So, I don't think I will buy Rebellion just to the fact that they won't release it as an expansion pack (a new game with Trinity inside, same game engine, and a few possibilities, the whole for more than 80$ (i own trinity, and I should pay a second time for this one...))

Well, that's odd to me...
Vampyre

Postby Boris28 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:31 am

I never played AI wars will try it out, thx :)
Boris28
-
-

Return to Offtopic