Offtopic

Scale of the universe

General chit chat

Scale of the universe

Postby Timmah! » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:29 pm

Timmah!

Re: Scale of the universe

Postby Boris28 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:25 pm

lol gemini wars universe is missing in that scale! but yes its really great. Altrought they say now that scientist found a sub atomic particle that travels faster then light which breaks apart einsteins theory :P. But its not yet confirmed.
Boris28
-
-

Postby BigB » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:07 pm

That thing is sick :o
BigB
-
-

Postby Timmah! » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:49 pm

BigB wrote:That thing is sick :o

It really is, especially the big scales are mindboggling... like the size of Vy Canis Major compared to our Sun, wtf? I knew our sun is not very large star, but if you zoom out to fit the largest star into screen, the Sun becomes pixel sized! Detto the galaxies, there is a galaxy as big as our local supercluster? Holy s..t!

BTW i like the music playing in the background, it reminds me slightly of music from K-Pax soundtrack, it really fits the theme...
Timmah!

Postby BigB » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:18 pm

Timmah! wrote:
BigB wrote:That thing is sick :o

It really is, especially the big scales are mindboggling... like the size of Vy Canis Major compared to our Sun, wtf? I knew our sun is not very large star, but if you zoom out to fit the largest star into screen, the Sun becomes pixel sized! Detto the galaxies, there is a galaxy as big as our local supercluster? Holy s..t!

BTW i like the music playing in the background, it reminds me slightly of music from K-Pax soundtrack, it really fits the theme...

Yup, it is, kind of makes you feel like a grain of sand, while in fact you are not even that...,
I wonder, the power of the universe cpu has to be huge.., imagine all this floating point calculations to keep everything up to scale :mrgreen:
BigB
-
-

Postby Boris28 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:18 am

BigB wrote:
I wonder, the power of the universe cpu has to be huge.., imagine all this floating point calculations to keep everything up to scale :mrgreen:

thats sick way to see on the universe as well :P
Boris28
-
-

Postby Shadowsun » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:46 pm

boristhe wrote:lol gemini wars universe is missing in that scale! but yes its really great. Altrought they say now that scientist found a sub atomic particle that travels faster then light which breaks apart einsteins theory :P. But its not yet confirmed.

i dont think this has been "confirmed" yet, there are alot of groups that recalculated themselves and are not satisfied by the method of time used... (a gps satelite) they say calculations regarding the "Lorentz transformation: wich reflects the surprising fact that observers moving at different velocities may measure different distances, elapsed times, and even different orderings of events. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_transformation)

anyways.. all the nitty witty stuff behind me... :roll:
im a bit skeptical until some other large party confirms either claim...

just going to stick with einstein for now... he's been right thusfar.. :lol:

even looking at the link, it doesnt give the sheer size of the universe credit...
just keep in mind that every pixel you zoom out, the distance increases exponentially
another fun fact is at the very end.. where you can see a bubble of "observed space" at some point we wont be able to see any further, becuase light hasnt been able to cover the distance in the entire lenght of our universe...

they really should teach stuf like this on schools... i've had my 30 year old collegue trying to persuade me that the universe is our galaxy, and that the galaxy was in fact.. the Solar System....
Shadowsun

Return to Offtopic