General

Alliance Assault Frigate

General

Alliance Assault Frigate

Postby jaket » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:25 am

The Raven Assault Frigate is a fast attack ship, vastly used in the Alliance fleet.
Manufactured by Uxmay Defense, its design was tailored to suit the needs of a cheap but reliable raid vessel.

Equipped with light armor and a light laser cannon, the Raven can't do much against stronger enemies. It’s usually deployed in group, where the combined firepower can make the difference.
Underestimated by some commanders (both Alliance and USF), this frigate has proven its worth time and again, where its speed was crucial to destroy enemy targets.

Officer recruits are usually assigned a commission on a Raven Assault Frigate. Only the best (and surviving) officers get to be transferred to larger and powerful Alliance ships.

jaket
-
-

Re: Alliance Assault Frigate

Postby Gauntlet » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:26 pm

I like this design, interesting feature with the dome piece on top.

Notably, I think your ships visually look bigger than you describe them to be. Maybe up your suggest sizes/scales/crews? I usually use WWII navy ships for reference, and its amazing how many people get crammed onto ships. Obviously you can reduce that number with the argument of automation though.
Gauntlet

Postby BigB » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:13 pm

The "crew" factor really depends on the purpose of the ship.
In our universe frigates are supposed to be the spine of a fleet, think of it as patrol ships the navy uses to patrol the coast line.
It would be expensive to have bigger vessels doing that, so you need smaller vessels that are also quite well equipped for the task.
For example, I don't know if you are into Startrek , but in the Startrek universe the Klingon bird of Prey of the B'rel-class has a crew of 12 and a length of 160 meters, while the bird of prey of the K'Vort-class has a crew of over 300 for a length of 320 meters, so I guess it all depends on the use you gonna give to the ship.
wiki link : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klingon_starships
BigB
-
-

Postby Latent12 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:34 pm

At least the Alliance gives starting officers decent looking ships and not rust buckets. :D

Question, will the ships actually look this detailed in the final build, or are these pictures strictly artwork?
Latent12

Postby Boris28 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:22 pm

Thats all orginal ingame ships we show here, so this is how they look when you play.
Boris28
-
-

Postby Baku Von Jankmon » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:18 am

a pictures showing the various vessels next to each other would be nice to get a bit of scale :P
Baku Von Jankmon

Postby Timmah! » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:21 am

Latent12 wrote:At least the Alliance gives starting officers decent looking ships and not rust buckets. :D

Question, will the ships actually look this detailed in the final build, or are these pictures strictly artwork?

I do not think they are detailed, especially this one, in fact its quite simple low-poly model and the texture resolution seems not to be very high. But its understandable as this is a small ship and the game is going to be RTS, not sim-game, so there are some hardware limits, they have to be respected. After all, it would be pointless to make a small ship too complex and resource heavy, given you would barely see it during the actual gameplay most of the time, they save the polys for those capital ships (hopefully). Still i could see the textures being slightly sharper :D
Anyway the game still looks better than Sins :)
Timmah!

Postby Boris28 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:18 am

The ships on side show the same ship just a tehnical view top, left, front. The ship is tiny yep. ;)
Boris28
-
-

Postby Stew2000 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:26 pm

Everything is tiny in space ;)
Stew2000

Postby Latent12 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:29 pm

Timmah! wrote:
Latent12 wrote:At least the Alliance gives starting officers decent looking ships and not rust buckets. :D

I do not think they are detailed, especially this one, in fact its quite simple low-poly model and the texture resolution seems not to be very high. But its understandable as this is a small ship and the game is going to be RTS, not sim-game, so there are some hardware limits, they have to be respected. After all, it would be pointless to make a small ship too complex and resource heavy, given you would barely see it during the actual gameplay most of the time, they save the polys for those capital ships (hopefully). Still i could see the textures being slightly sharper :D
Anyway the game still looks better than Sins :)

Yeah, the ships aren't super detailed that wouldn't fit with the idea the devs seem to have in mind. I was just asking because in the gameplay that has been shown the ships have looked for less detailed than these preview models even when accounting for the zoomed out state imo. Hopefully, in future gameplay videos the ships will look sharper.
Latent12

Return to General