General

Explosions

General

Re: Explosions

Postby Krzyzowiec » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:33 am

BigB you say some ppl already like explosions, BUT!! if you change the explosions such as those described -then everyone EVERYONE will love your explosions, i believe this can be hard to do, but you can try.

This need not be so advanced, it should be enought when you make 3 different explosions animations - one when ship is fired on front, one when on middle and one (biggest explosion) when is fired from back, in engines, last one shold be powerfull and make splash damage to closest ships - just becouse this is hard to catch ship from back

and if you have problem with calculate where ship take biggest damage, determinant it just by last hit

and if you do that then players will have reaseon for micro maneuvering and opportunity for some sneaky tactic
Krzyzowiec

Postby Timmah! » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:48 am

I agree this is about compromis. Smaller ships could explode in this confetti style, we can somehow accept this. However it would be nice, if the animation of explosion for battlecruisers/carriers/something bigger? was bit more sophisticated.

BTW i do not thnk Peelo and others are calling for physically correct explosions computed in real-time. The pre-scripted animation would suffice...correct me if i am wrong, but you said in the explosions tech-video explosions are pre-scripted using some CUDA/PhysX thing... personally i imagine it to work like some scripts within 3dsmax, you set some parameters and let the app do its magic, i use for example for architectural viz plugin called IvyGenerator, i set the parameters like Gravity, Adhesion , Branchimg etc...then press the "Grow" button and the animation will start... maybe i am completely off now, but i think maybe you created the explosions in a similar manner...
whereas what would be required is basically manual setting of the keys for the animation, where and when the ships break apart, etc.... it will still end-up being pre-scripted, you will just set it up manually instead of letting some application to precompute it... it might be not physically correct (like i suppose the precomputed animation by PhysX is), but it will look better, more like what you expect to happen after watching all those Treks and Stargates and Babylons 5...

EDIT:

addendum:

i would like to see something like this, since 1:30 mark, Lucifer tearing human ship apart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khIWdolT9xY

that would be definitely cool
but if that is beyond your current capabilities, given the time and resources, i can of understand that... just bring it on! :geek:
Timmah!

Postby pomo » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:47 am

I found some old video from a game called Haegemonia its very old game but still even today the graphics look preety impressive and there are some explosions that i think that would be a great inspiration. Also i read about that there wont be any debris which i find a bit sad since it could be used as mentioned earlier as a resources or something like improved minefield which i think would be great place for ambushes for fighters too when the enemy would pass through the debris :) as for explosions i dont think that there would be any great fireworks but im thinking more about an energy wave from reactors that would blow up since in space there is vacuum and all fire would be like wosh gone after the oxygen gets depleted. that type of explosions u could see in other movie which ill post the links to it here too...
Haegemonia: http://youtu.be/UZ5Gdqc9Ct0
Wing commander movie trailer (i couldnt find only the explosions :/ so they are in that trailer): http://youtu.be/mAxG4u_rqug

p.s.: u could add more ships to the game not only 9 ships per faction since the game might start to become preety boring (meaning more variety of ships like some long range artilery class ships which might be a expensive but they would be worth the resources for sieges against heavily defended fortresses and carriers and other ships, then middle range ships like battleships and cruisers and then close range ships that might be specialized in ramming big ships from the sides like in homeworld series, and support class ships for resuply, emergency repairs meaning that they will be able to not fully repair ships but only partialy and for full repairs they would be needed to go back to the docks for full repairs and some special group called experimental ships that would be very expensive but very dangerous too :D ( got the idea when i played Supreme Commander ). I also think that would be great to implement some sort of micromanagment so that players would care about their fleet not to just be like in the Command and Conquer series where you just throw at the enemy one wave of ships after another but to implement tactics which might have a better chance of succes and the also to minimaze the losses like in a real fight. I also had an idea about areas where its too dangerous to fly in with big ships something like asteroid field in star wars where you could send big cruisers through the asteroid field but u will get some damage by passing it or even losing a ship. this could be prevented by having a squadron of fighters to shoot the way through the asteroid field for example an sneak atack from behind enemy lines which might give you the need to think more what you build where and how while attacking enemy with your fleet leaving some defending forces in that case.

p.p.s.: i really appreciate your effort what you guys are doing is amazing and i cant wait to play this game :) if this post is in the wrong thread i apologize :)
pomo

Postby BigB » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:12 pm

Hello pomo,

Welcome to the forums,
I know Haegemonia , thanks for the video links :)
Our explosions are not final, they will actually be redone, however we have a workflow going, and we will only go back to the explosions near the end of this next cycle. They won't stay confetti explosions.
Thanks for the Wing Commander movie trailer, I had seen that movie ages ago, gonna check it again once I have some time.
In Gemini Wars you can still trow ships into the enemy as you want, but Ships do gain experience, and with more experience they get more powerful and resistent.
So it's a good tactic to preserve experienced ships, this alone will make you more careful than making ships like nuts, and sending them into the action.
BigB
-
-

Postby pomo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:56 am

Will you be able to create a minefield in the game? for lets say defensive (or offensive) purposes and if yes will they have a nice explosions? :?:
pomo

Postby BigB » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:44 am

ehh, nope, for now no mine fields., but you do have quite a nice number of defensive structures to build.
BigB
-
-

Postby Boris28 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:59 pm

Actually thats not a bad idea, i like it. ;)
Boris28
-
-

Postby Timmah! » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:50 am

Mines would be nice, even if they are only such a rarely used niche gimmick. They still add another dimension to the game. They were in Homeworld, CFW and Sins as well, so not having them in GW feels bit like a step back. You can still add them via some datadisc or DLC though.
Timmah!

Postby Gauntlet » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:12 pm

I'd love to see mines act like a little swarm of missiles that shoot out towards enemy ships that enter their range. As opposed to area of effect explosions which in space... makes a little less sense.

And of course that could be a difference between faction's mines.
Gauntlet

Previous

Return to General