General

Mission 12 question

General

Mission 12 question

Postby nessin » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:50 am

Is there a way to avoid triggering the initial invasion waves? I tried avoiding the system where we need to build the stargate, but that doesn't do it, and I tried avoiding the two systems connecting to it which also doesn't work. As it stands, unless there is some bug at work, there is no physical way to survive wave 5 as early as it comes with the starting position (at least on normal, haven't tried easy).
nessin

Re: Mission 12 question

Postby BigB » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:38 am

The AI is triggered by two events, either by time or from the moment you build your first military station.
You need to build up your defenses and maximizing your research while you hold the the Gark., get your Battleships abilities online, get defenses working , get a Shield Generator , don't go immedialty for the Stargate construction, and try to choose the battleground near your Military stations, as your ships get their armor regenerated there.
BigB
-
-

Postby nessin » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:53 am

BigB wrote:The AI is triggered by two events, either by time or from the moment you build your first military station.
You need to build up your defenses and maximizing your research while you hold the the Gark., get your Battleships abilities online, get defenses working , get a Shield Generator , don't go immedialty for the Stargate construction, and try to choose the battleground near your Military stations, as your ships get their armor regenerated there.

I was immediately building the military station in the initial sector you start in, which might be the problem. As for the rest of it... I mean, if the AI isn't triggered right away then I could have battleship abilities online (if you trigger it right away you're facing wave 2 before they will go through their first refresh). Shield Generators are out of the question because the AI jumps to the mining asteroid system and not the one you can place the military station, at which point they branch out. That's actually the only way I survived wave 4, I fought at my military station and burned so much cash (and time in killing the waves) on defenses and ships that I couldn't rebuild mining stations that the roaming fourth wave (before I could kill it) and the fifth wave destroyed.

I'll work a bit on delaying the military station and see how that changes things.
nessin

Postby BigB » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:57 am

Get some mining stations getting you some crystals before building military station, and just ignore that the AI goes to that asteroid field, you have plenty of asteroids fields on the west of the black hole, for them to get to those asteroid fields they need to pass trough your military station.
See how that goes :mrgreen:
BigB
-
-

Postby nessin » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:24 am

BigB wrote:Get some mining stations getting you some crystals before building military station, and just ignore that the AI goes to that asteroid field, you have plenty of asteroids fields on the west of the black hole, for them to get to those asteroid fields they need to pass trough your military station.
See how that goes :mrgreen:

Are we thinking of the same mission? There is only one mining asteroid field west, the other is a military field. Part of the problem is there are only five mining fields and one is where they first got and the remaining three are all adjacent to that one. If I don't hold that one, at least one of the waves will run around killing all my mining stations except the one to the west and I can't imagine surviving on one after wave three or four.
nessin

Postby zalebird » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:11 pm

i cant do that mission its just to hard and im playing it on easy i get Steam rolled. i could beat it if theres 1 wave but ather the 4 wave im done. cuse i have no were left to go there in 4 differnt squads and i tried to do a lure tactic with a curiser on the wormhole but i still cant get by it. becuase you have to sit there and get the stargate tec but i cant hold 1 planet EVEN with spam turrets
zalebird

Postby mutaru » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:24 pm

really difficult mission, anyone cheats? :roll:
mutaru

Postby nessin » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:27 am

Edit #2: This was all done on normal.

I haven't beaten it yet because I got so frustrated and it takes so long that I gave up. However I am confident that I made it to a point where it was just a matter of time. I had over 200 fleet supply and enough ships/income that I could kill the waves with losses that I could support while building up cash for the gate. I did it by defending the asteroid mining system connected to the wormhole with everything I had. First I built all 5 (all but the wormhole itself) mining stations that I could, then waited about 30-60 seconds before building two military stations. One station constantly pumped out cruisers, the other missile frigates (until wave 4, after which I switched entirely to cruisers). At that point it was build turrets, move units to the battlefield and, if I got time in between, micro my units to focus on cruisers and battleships with low or no shields.

Edit:
Something else, before wave 1 have you fleet fly to the far mining asteroid and fly back, so they're all perfectly lined up facing the wormhole system. Then try and get them to move up to just a bit behind the turret wave and put them all on defend! You don't want your small units flying forward and frying themselves on the first wave because the second wave is a much stronger wave with more frigates and destroyers which your frigates and destroyers can be more helpful against than having them destroyed in the first wave.

If you live through Wave 4, then you should be golden since the rest of the waves are smaller. I was on wave 14 or 15 when I decided to call it because I didn't feel like spending the next hour killing wave after wave after wave that had no chance of killing me but required me to constantly build new units and new turrets. Be aware that waves will come so quickly that until you hit 150+ fleet cap you're going to get waves overlapping or with only a few seconds rest in between. Eventually it'd probably go faster if I could squeeze out of colony ship and fill out my battleships, but the thought of the extra time to get that much cash...

To be honest it would have been a lot easier if you could actually predict where your ships would go when you gave a move order, if they didn't sometimes stop firing after killing something, and if you didn't have to devote so much time to building new units, moving them to the battlefield, and building new turrets.

Oh yeah, you also can't save/load because you'll hit the research bug and lose some research that you'll want, shields don't regenerate on units if they've started taking hull damage (even if you repair them back up to full and use the shield regenerator battleship skill), and the Gark insta-kill every cruiser and battleship of mine at 50% hull that they're attacking. So much fun...

Sorry if the post sounds aggressive, it took a LOT of tries to get to the point I'm at and 90% of my problems and difficulty getting there can be put down on bugs, lack of basic shortcuts, and very bad unit pathing.
nessin

Postby mutaru » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:01 pm

i cant win this mision, peaple help"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!§§§ i think i jump from window now..
mutaru

Postby megaadair » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:32 pm

Hello
Haven't completed this level yet, but I don't think I did that badly. On easy, managed to defend my self to the point that I could build a stargate and I had a small force ready to attack and destroy the Gark Stargate. Unfortunately the Gark don't need a stargate and when I got their I had nothing to destroy apart from a mining station. Apparently the Gark don't need stargates?
After I destroyed one colony an armarda attacked from both systems and wiped my defenses away in sort order.
Bit annoying that.
megaadair

Return to General