General

Skirmish AI

General

Skirmish AI

Postby BigB » Wed May 23, 2012 10:30 pm

So, I have been working on the AI for Skirmish maps.
It does share a lot of things with the AI we use for the Campaign, but the master brain is a bit different.
The AI in GW is divided into 2 major brains, the upper brain that commands major actions (attack here, defend here, research this, move there), and the minor brain that controls actions of individual ships (jump here, avoid this ship, shoot that ship).
So, when the AI decides that it's time to attack the player, it searches a fleet that can do that, and if there's no immediate threat, searches a good target for the attack.
Once it finds the fleet, it sends each of the ship of that fleet the instructions to jump to a certain asteroid field, and there they go. From that point, the minor brain of the ships takes over.
This is in a very basic explanation how the AI is working.
Most of these things already happen in the Campaign AI, but a Campaign scenario is much different from a Skirmish scenario, in a skirmish scenario both factions start from zero, and in campaign scenarios the AI is already established, so the needs from the point of view of the AI are different.

So, in the following shots I'm showing the AI at works in a test map.
Me, I'm the blue faction, I simply built 3 mining stations and 1 military station, and I don't do anything, I just watch what the AI is doing (you won't be able to see this in the game like I'm showing here, because of the fog of war).
The AI starts by expanding to the systems in range, builds 1 military station, and starts building mining stations to get resources, it then continues building an additional military station and research stations.
With the research stations, starts researching better engines to get more range, and once it gets it stars expanding further.
Defensive turrets are built, defensive shields, better ships, better weapons and armor researched, and it starts pressing on the player.
With my holy coder powers I start deleting their fleets that approach my positions, to give some more time to the AI to expand without eliminating me this soon.
I let them get me on the last image.
Overall, it's already working pretty good, but still needs some work, balancing and difficulty settings adjusted.

So below, some shots for your enjoyment :mrgreen:

Mostly equal powers

1 military station and 3 mining stations

2 military stations and 4 mining stations

It seems the AI already made a fleet for scouting, here they come near Sigma Field

3 planets with military stations and research stations, 4 mining stations, several turrets around Sooran Field

My mighy powers deleted their war ships.
1 Colony ship is spotted leaving Abavia.

1 Colony founded in Sharru. It's the only earth like planet near, the other 2 are gas planets and the AI doesn't have yet the technology to colonize them.

Several more asteroid fields are being explored, most of the map is already in control of the AI.

Here they come again some more war ships approaching, this time I will let them do what they must.

One of my mining stations in Wei field is under attack.

And I lost Wei, and the AI keeps pressing on.

Another of my mining stations is under attack, and so is my only planet !

Ok, I lost everything except 1 mining station.

Here they come !!

And game over :mrgreen:
BigB
-
-

Re: Skirmish AI

Postby Krzyzowiec » Thu May 24, 2012 5:35 am

Big question is what the AI will do if i rush him ? i know that mining station doesnt have any defence and problaby he doesnt have any ships. So how he will defend his mining stations or constructor ships in verry early game ? I guess now even one worst ship in game can destroy mining station if it doesnt have any defence, so answer here is building turrets when you are rushed ? Im not sure how it will be looking, this can be awesome defence/offence intense or just impossible to destroy in early atacks, be care :)

Maybe you should put some basic income in military station ? and made few version of mining station?
Becouse if i good remember you can made 10 ships for cost of one miniong station, so we will have stalemate situation if you made mining station i made war ships and destroy your mining station, then i dont have enought power to destroy military station and we both dont have income - fail. And if you start game with militarty station and construction ship + few lvls of mining (it can be simply upgraded w/o change skin) like fisrt cost 200minerals, 2nd 1000, 3rd 4000 and income is different then you can start game with only 1000 minerals + small income from military and we got choice of what we do, we can rush, kill economy and slowly make our economy with patroling their systems, or just put everything in economy and then with bigger income make fast defences etc etc :P

So how it will be looking ?
Krzyzowiec

Postby Holybeast » Thu May 24, 2012 7:30 pm

Im concerned what the AI will do when they have to defend a blitzkrieg attack and same with me if they will use that strategy? :ugeek:

You shall see :P
Holybeast

Postby BigB » Thu May 24, 2012 11:58 pm

Krzyzowiec wrote:Big question is what the AI will do if i rush him ? i know that mining station doesnt have any defence and problaby he doesnt have any ships. So how he will defend his mining stations or constructor ships in verry early game ? I guess now even one worst ship in game can destroy mining station if it doesnt have any defence, so answer here is building turrets when you are rushed ? Im not sure how it will be looking, this can be awesome defence/offence intense or just impossible to destroy in early atacks, be care :)

Maybe you should put some basic income in military station ? and made few version of mining station?
Becouse if i good remember you can made 10 ships for cost of one miniong station, so we will have stalemate situation if you made mining station i made war ships and destroy your mining station, then i dont have enought power to destroy military station and we both dont have income - fail. And if you start game with militarty station and construction ship + few lvls of mining (it can be simply upgraded w/o change skin) like fisrt cost 200minerals, 2nd 1000, 3rd 4000 and income is different then you can start game with only 1000 minerals + small income from military and we got choice of what we do, we can rush, kill economy and slowly make our economy with patroling their systems, or just put everything in economy and then with bigger income make fast defences etc etc :P

So how it will be looking ?

In a very early game he won't be able to get to you, the jump distances between jump points are too big, he will need to get tech researched first. (in this map)
Rushing doesn't work in this game anyways, early in the game you don't have the capability to destroy a Military Station for example.
BigB
-
-

Postby Krzyzowiec » Fri May 25, 2012 5:56 am

but you can destroy mining station and constructor ship
and what then ? military dont generate income so it will be draw

and to be honest its not good for RTS if you cant rush it make game boring at start, first 10 min everyone will wait for economy and that suck :)

upgradable military station and mining station will help, for example your starting military will not have any defence, only after upgrade (which upgrade cost only standard minerals) and about upgradable mining i write before
Krzyzowiec

Postby Anguille » Fri May 25, 2012 12:26 pm

Nice!

Going to be great!
Anguille

Postby BigB » Fri May 25, 2012 3:33 pm

Krzyzowiec wrote:but you can destroy mining station and constructor ship

and to be honest its not good for RTS if you cant rush it make game boring at start, first 10 min everyone will wait for economy and that suck :)

upgradable military station and mining station will help, for example your starting military will not have any defence, only after upgrade (which upgrade cost only standard minerals) and about upgradable mining i write before

You are not listening, you can't destroy the mining and the constructor, they are out of range of your engine technology, as you are out of range of the AI.
As to military stations giving minerals, that can't be done at this stage, that would break all the balance in the campaign, unless it would be only valid in skirmishes, but then we would have different rules and that doesn't make sense.
BigB
-
-

Postby BigB » Fri May 25, 2012 3:34 pm

BigB wrote:
Krzyzowiec wrote:but you can destroy mining station and constructor ship

You are not getting it , you can't destroy the mining and the constructor, they are out of range of your engine technology, as you are out of range of the AI.
As to military stations giving minerals, that can't be done at this stage, that would break all the balance in the campaign, unless it would be only valid in skirmishes, but then we would have different rules and that doesn't make sense.
BigB
-
-

Postby honvik » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:47 pm

Question in Skirmish what factions can you play? and can you play vrs more then one AI?
honvik

Postby BigB » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:49 pm

You will be able to play with USF and Alliance, Gark is still unsure.
It will be 1 vs 1, at least at first.
BigB
-
-

Next

Return to General