General

ship Abilities

General

Re: ship Abilities

Postby Taros » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:47 pm

Timmah! wrote:Regarding Star Command, its true it did not try to simulate naval combat tactics, so if this is a must for you, then maybe you really would not like it. But dont be fooled by the reviews, IIRC the game was not given very good critics, it was vastly undervalued. I suspect most of the reviewers back in the time approached it with the "another generic RTS" attitude, when it was far more than that. It was one of those games, you just needed to play it longer to get into it, i suppose this is not how reviews are written.

Fair enough i'll give it a go and try it for myself :)

BigB wrote:I also dislike the SOSE ability system, as Taros mentioned seems more like a spell system than a technological improvement on the ship.
I do agree that ships can be improved to perform functions beyond their basic functionality, but shouldn't be something abstract like (improve shields on all ships in a X range) or something of the kind.
Abilities or Technology improvements should be something that seems "realistic", although what seems magic to us, can be perfect normal and acceptable in the future.
Btw, have any of you guys read "Lost Fleet" by Jack Campbell or "In death ground" by David Weber ?
Both books feature massive space battles, and both books portrait space battles in different ways. If any of you love Sci-Fi books, I highly advise "Lost Fleet".., it's a massive endeavor, 6 books in total.., but oh well, we are all sci-fi nerds I think :mrgreen:

Very true and on the point of advanced technology: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke. so i think you nailed that one, and yes, making it be actual spells like SOASE did is a step in the wrong direction :D

Thanks for the tip, i have not read any of those but they are going on my list Asap :)
What would the world be without sci-fi and nerds? Nerds make the world go round :P well maybe not round, it kind of does that on its own... Nerds make humanity move forward? :mrgreen:

My favorite hard science fiction series by far is the "Revelation Space" series by Alistair Reynolds, my favorite being "Redemption Ark", Might be worth a look if you like realistic sci-fi :D although be warned his books tend to get very technical in terms of how the technology works and stuff like that :geek:
Taros

Postby Latent12 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:29 pm

@BigB

If you are looking at Lost Fleet to get a picture of space tactical battles that's good to hear. Jack Campbell really does a great job describing tactics though he does use four dimensions instead of two which can be confusing at times. I'll definitely have to get his new Lost Fleet series a look. It's good stuff. :D
Latent12

Postby BigB » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:50 pm

@Taros : Thanks for the tip, once i'm back home I will order those books, i'm always on the lookout for good sci-fi reading.
@Latent12 : Lost Fleet is amazing :) , I love how he describes the battles, how fleets see each other hours away, and what they see is not what is really happening, is how the enemy fleet was 7 hours ago or something. It's very good stuff.
BigB
-
-

Previous

Return to General