Whishes/Requests

Damaged Ships don't recharge shields.

Write us your wishlists and requests.

Damaged Ships don't recharge shields.

Postby Canute » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:52 pm

Damaged ships don't recharge their shields, ok i can understand that damaged ships got damaged shield emitters, but after they got repaired their Shield's still don't recharge.

Battleship Ability "Recharge shield" don't work anymore after a few uses.
On mission 10 i selected that ability for the Battleship, 2 times it worked well. the 3. time i didn't realy checked it, but the Battleship still got 0 shields. the 4. time i warp the Battleship alone at the different position and used the ability without any effect.
Canute

Re: Damaged Ships don't recharge shields.

Postby BigB » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:42 pm

Once a shield is completely destroyed, you can't regenerate it again, that's why the ability won't get your shields up again, once it's gone, it's gone.
BigB
-
-

Postby Canute » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:45 am

unlogical but ok.

But then we need
- Pause mode to check shield status of all fleet ships, and to give them orders to retreat.
- Better fleet overview , need colours for shield status like status of the hull.
- maybe automated retreatorders.
- shield restore ability on Shipyards, they build the ships with shield they should fix it.
Canute

Postby Grottenolm85 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:36 pm

I think the whole concept of shields is rather weird.
My Idea about shields
From physics point of view:
- shields are EM-Field-barriers generated by some sort of machine. If you shoot at it the field is weakend up to the point when it collapses or becomes useless.
- Restoring the shiels probably takes time, but the real limiting factor might be the energy requirement. (Generating a EM-Fileds takes µs, but charging capacitors/batteries takes time)

From a Gameplay point of view.
- Shields recover slowly on their own
- Shields are a protection against Hit&Run (Minimal damage is recovered quickly, therfore useless)
- On the other hand they make it easier to bypass enemys you don't want to fight. The shield protect you from initial damage before you can flee/bypass
- They reduce micromagament, as small damages are undone without the players acting
- If you notice the shields are failing, you prepare to withdraw them from battle

Gemini wars Idea:
Physics
- The shields are made from a feeble irreplaceable energy from, which comes with an initial charge upon construction. If you wan't more.. buy a new ship you cheapskate :twisted:
- The shipyard-engineers stole the blueprints of their ships and have no clue how they work. They can build it, but have no idea how to fix anything. :shock:

Gameplay
- Shields are shiny HP, just worse. Can't be repaired. Have no advantage over Armor. (Why waste research on them?)
- "capital ship shields are failing!" What do i care?! Not like i could do anything about it... :roll:

I really don't get the concept here. The shields feel more like the durabilty of items in Fallout. You can fix damaged items, but they will never be as good as new.

I would strongly prefer the shilds concept like in Sins of a Solar empire.
- Shields are usually less than 50% of the overall health
- regenerate outside of combat
- Abiilities help to speed up the rate.

only difference.:
- If shields are offline, they remain offline until the ship was repaired to full health somehow. (This way you can still weaken a fleet that is far away from an military base)
Grottenolm85

Postby Markuss » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:39 pm

Canute wrote:But then we need
- Pause mode to check shield status of all fleet ships, and to give them orders to retreat.
- Better fleet overview , need colours for shield status like status of the hull.
- maybe automated retreatorders.
- shield restore ability on Shipyards, they build the ships with shield they should fix it.

what your saying is you want the ability to never loose a ship, i don't agree with this.

one thing that i think would be fun is to actually stop you doing a regular jump during a battle and add an emergency warp button. it basically does the same thing as warping out of a battle, but chooses the destination randomly, and adds drama with voice overs such as:

Captian: get us out of here!
Poilot: destination??
Captain: ANYWHERE JUST GO!!!

or

Pilot: sir, if we jump without a destination we could fly into a planet!
Captain: I DON'T CARE!! if we stay here we're dead anyway!!!
Markuss

Postby Soban » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:34 pm

No, thats not what hes asking for.
Shields right now are essentially useless.
if they go down they are gone for good, which is something NO rts with shields ever does - it also effectively makes the ship totally useless in future engagements ... very costly when youre strapped for cash.
You may just as well take shields away and double the effective hp of every unit in the game.

Shield generators need to be a consistent thing, to prevent abuse though making a specific structure repair "destroyed / disabled" shield generators (units cant repair in the field anyway from what ive seen) like the shipyard - or better still, that structure the shield generator ... give it the ability to "battery" shields to give them back a small amount and regenerate the rest themselves (provided that the shield generator is online)
protoss units dont lose their shields forever in starcraft - ships in armada never lost their shields permanently unless you damaged the shield generator, nor starwars games. (unless you blew it off in EAW)
Damage to the ship should limit the effectiveness of the shields, much like it does to the in-system hyperdrive.
up to the point where the generators get disabled - which to add shouldnt be a fixed % of the ships health, it should be totally random, lucky shot - subsystem disabled etc,

what this guy is asking for; is a little sci-fi consistency - make it believable.
Just followed your example, shout loud enough and someone will eventually take notice. - Garrus
Soban

Postby BigB » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:41 am

Ok, you guys are right.., gonna do the shields regenerate (but only after the entire hull is back at 100%)
BigB
-
-

Postby peelo » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:41 pm

BigB wrote:Ok, you guys are right.., gonna do the shields regenerate (but only after the entire hull is back at 100%)

Regen them allways BUT after more then a MINUTE and the regen-rate should be the current hull-%
peelo

Postby MizzouRah71 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:39 pm

You could also have a ship repair station where if you orbit it, your shields/hp regenerate? That's how Legends of Pegasus does it.
MizzouRah71

Postby Boris28 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:51 pm

When you orbit Military station you get your ships repaired automatic :)
Boris28
-
-

Next

Return to Whishes/Requests